Upcoming Events (Feb 2015 onward)
All events are in Chennai unless otherwise noted.
Chennai Storytelling Festival 2015,
"Storytelling for Teaching and Training"
Wed 4, to Sun 15 Feb
An overview of the Festival is here.
The Inauguration of the Festival would occur at the British Council on Wed 5 Feb, at 5:30pm. This would be followed by a free performance by Scandinavian Storyteller, Emily Parrish, who is now based in England. All are invited!
Storytelling Workshops (for adults and teenagers) by 20 Trainers, all over town! Plus a Talk (about educational uses of an ancient epic), and a Panel Discussion (on ways storytelling can be used to teach languages). 4-13 Feb. Info is here.
Storytelling Contest up to 12 Feb. Info is here.
Storytelling Performances at Alliance Francaise (12-14 Feb evenings), and at other times and places. Info is here.
Two-day free Seminar at the University of Madras, on Sat 14 and Sun 15 Feb. Info is here.
Chennai Storytelling Festival 2015 is presented by the World Storytelling Institute, in association with the University of Madras, the British Council, the International Institute of Project Management, and others.
Info about CSF 2013 and CSF 2014 is here.
Storytelling by and for Adults
at Cafe Coffee Days.
1) 2 Feb 2014, CCD Lounge (Besant Nagar).
2) 9 Feb 2014, CCD Square (Nungambakkam).
Info is here.
These events constitute the Adult English-language section of the 2014-15 Chennai Storytelling Contest. The winners of this section would be named at the conclusion of the Mon 9 Feb session. To be eligible to win, one must tell both a true story (such as a personal-experience story) and a fantasy story (such as a folktale, or a made-up story).
Storytelling Workshops for Adults.
* The next 7-session Workshop would begin on Sun 1 March 2015 and would meet on 7 consecutive Sundays, 10am-Noon, near New Avadi Road in Kilpauk Garden.
* Info is here.
Storytelling Training via Videoconference. (Skype, Google, Apple, etc.) For individuals and groups of all ages and professions. Info is here.
Storytelling Performances and Workshops for children are being conducted regularly by numerous members of the Chennai Storytelling Association, in various parts of Chennai. For details, please click here.
Description of Workshops for Children conducted by Dr Eric Miller --
The children listen to stories, discuss the stories, and tell stories. They also do activities (such as drawing).
Storytelling is a form
of Public Speaking that may also include some Acting. The children
would be coached to form and tell Fairytales,
Animal Fables, Episodes of Epics, True-Life Stories, and Made-Up Stories.
24 Aug 2014
Sixth Annual "Living Statues of Marina Beach" Walking Tour (an event in Madras Week).
Brief Dramatic Enactments of 8 Statues (in English and Tamil): Kannagi, NSC Bose, Thiruvalluvar, GU Pope, Bharathidasan, Avvaiyar, Subramania Bharathi, and Mahatma Gandhi.
Photo is here.
Info (including the scripts in English) is here.
20 Aug 2014
Storytelling by and for Adults.
At Café Coffee Day Square, Chennai.
Regarding this series --
A description is here.
An article in Cafe Chronicle (by Dr Eric Miller) is here.
An article in Indian Express is here.
9) Aug 2014 Topic, "The moment I decided to live in Chennai" (an event in Madras Week 2014).
A photo is here.
8) July 2014,"A dream come true".
7) June 2014, "An eye-opening experience".
6) April 2014, "Real-life adventure stories".
5) March 2014, "Real-life adventure stories".
4) Feb 2014, "I made it look easy".
3) Jan 2014, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again".
2) Dec 2013, "The best gift I ever gave or received".
1) Nov 2013, "The day I became human". Photos are here.
20 March 2014 (World Storytelling Day)
Videoconference on Dragons and Monsters.
Info about, and a link to a recording of, this videoconference is here.
7-9 Feb 2014
Chennai Storytelling Festival 2014,
Storytelling and Healing
(Storytelling as a Healing Art).
The Poster is here.
Additional info is here.
Photos are here.
Links to recordings of webcasts of Workshops (some featuring videoconferences) are here.
An article in The Hindu is here.
6 Jan 2014
Videoconference on Storytelling and Healing.
Info about, and a link to a recording of, this videoconference is here.
4 Oct 2013
Ethnographic Videoconference between 11th Standard students in Chennai, and in Burlington, Wisconsin, USA. The students discussed their identities in terms of their uses of language, etc. A link to a recording of the videoconference, and additional info about the event, are here.
28 Sept 2013
Kaani Tribal Storytelling Festival,
Language, Culture, and Nature.
Location: Pechiparai, Kanyakumari district, Tamil Nadu. The Poster is here. Additional info is here. A Kaani folk tale is here. Links to photos of Kaani people, etc, are here. Ideas regarding developing tribal cultures are here. An article on the Festival is here. Festival photos coming soon.
20 Sept 2013
WSI Director Dr Eric delivered the Inaugural Address at the 3rd International Meeting of the Kanyakumari Academy of Arts and Sciences, in Nagercoil. The text of the Address, titled "The Value of the Multi-Discipline Approach to Research", is here.
Storytelling about Beach and Ocean Eco-Systems.
15-26 April 2013
A report written by two teenage Storytelling-Instructor Trainees regarding the April 2013 WSI Storytelling Summer Camp for Children (ages 6-years-and-above) they attended is here.
13-15 April 2013
Three-Day Workshop for Adults in
Storytelling and Healing, also known as
Storytelling Therapy, and
Therapeutic Uses of Storytelling.
Presented by the WSI and the East-West Center for Counselling. Especially for people who work in NGOs and in fields involving caring for people and helping them to grow and heal. Some introductory words about Storytelling Therapy are here, and additional information about the Workshop is here.
8 March 2013
WSI Director Dr Eric co-presented a paper entitled, "Tribal Peoples as Leaders of Society in a Future in which Fossil Fuels might be Scarce, with Special Reference to the Kani Tribal People of South India", at the National Conference on "Tribal Literature: Across Continents and Cultures", at V. O. Chidambaram College, in Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu. The Handout is here.
Chennai Storytelling Festival 2013 --
Teaching and Learning about Storytelling.
Here is the Poster (with schedule).
Here is the Brochure.
Here is the Announcement (with photo).
Here are additional details.
Here is info about the Storytelling Performance on Fri 1 Feb, at 5:30pm.
Here is info about the Post-Festival Field-trip to Thanjavur.
Articles on the Festival:
1) "The Tale Trail", Indian Express.
2) "Nurturing the Art of Spinning a Yarn", The Hindu.
3) "Pictures in Your Mind", Deccan Chronicle.
4) "How to Spin a Yarn", Deccan Chronicle.
5) "Telling Tales", Indian Express.
Articles on the Post-Festival Field-trip to Thanjavur:
1) "Timeless Tales", The Hindu.
2) "Thanjavur Tales, Made in Chennai", Indian Express.
3) "Is Indian Storytelling a Dying Art?", BBC Online.
4) "Indian Storytellers Struggle to Keep Traditon Alive", Deutsche Welle (an international news service based in Germany).
WSI Director Dr Eric recently taught a course in Creative Writing at the IIT-Madras. Related recent academic activities in which Dr Eric has been involved are:
1) Videoconference between students at IIT-Madras, and American University in Cairo (AUC). In AUC' s Global South Dialogue Course. Session topic: "Everyday Creativity: 'Indian' and 'Egyptian' Ways of Doing Things". Wed 24 Oct. The handout is here. A recording of the videoconference (which was also webcast) is here .
2) Talk on "Story Composing, Writing, and Telling; and Creativity in General". At the English Dept, Annamalai University, Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu, Tues 18 Sept. Links to Speaking notes and related files are here.
3) Talk on "The Story-making Process of the Human Mind". At the Conference on Enriching the Connection between Literature and Life, Periyar University, Salem, Tamil Nadu, Tues 4 Sept. Speaking notes are here.
4) Talk on "Applying Principles of 'Conversation Analysis' to the Facilitation of Student-Participation in Classroom Discussions". At the Teaching-and-Learning Center, IIT-Madras, Thurs 23 Aug. The Handout is here. Speaking notes are here. Links to writings on Conversation Analysis, and Collaborative Teaching-and-Learning, are here.
5) Workshop in "Science Fiction Story Writing and Telling". At the 13th National Science Fiction Conference, at Bharathiyar University, in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Fri 20 Jan. An article on the session is here.
21 Oct 2012
Storytelling Performances by Members of the Chennai Storytelling Association at Oxford Bookstore (Haddows Road, Nungambakkam): "Storytelling about Families", with Special Guest Storyteller from Belfast, Northern Ireland, Steafan Hannigan.
Our other recent Storytelling Performances at this venue have included,
"Stories about Language, Words, and Stories" (Sept 2012).
"Living Beside the Sea" (August 2012).
"Friendship" (July 2012).
"Heroic Animals in Folk Legends" (June 2012).
"Strong and Active Heroines in Fairy Tales" (April 2012).
"Honesty and other Civic Virtues" (Feb 2012).
"Recycling and Eco-systems" (Jan 2012).
"Christmas Storytelling" (Dec 2011).
21-23 July 2012
Tuesday 29 May
The Chennai Storytelling
Association began in Nov 2010. There
are now approx 200 members. Many have
attended multi-session WSI Storytelling Workshops.
1) The development of
lesson plans for training adults and children in the art of storytelling (in
English and Tamil).
4) Monthly sessions of
personal-experience storytelling (for and by adults), open to the general
public. Presently, these sessions are
occurring at a Cafe Coffee Day. Info
about these events is here.
Ongoing activities by CSA members include:
1) Vasugi Ram Manohar directs Madras Story Works in Egmore (98401 18590). Storytelling for children each Saturday at 11am. Info is here.
2) Asha Sampath directs Tale Spin in Anna Nagar (98408 33953). Storytelling on one Saturday afternoon each month. Info is here.
3) Kavitha Thyagarajan and Debjani Bhaduri direct Once Upon a Time in RA Puram (99400 36390 and 98402 76914). Info is here.
4) Sheetal Rayathatha directs Square Heads (Phonics and Storytelling) in Kilpauk (98400 91290). Info is here.
5) Sandhya Rubens directs Eloquens (Soft-skills training, Storytelling, etc) in Ayanavaram (98401 77215). Info is here.
7) Magdalene Jeyarathnam directs the East-West Center for Counselling and Training in Nungambakkam and Kilpauk (98841 00135). The EWCFCT provides Expressive Arts Therapy (including Therapeutic Uses of Storytelling) for children and adults, and also provides training in Expressive Arts Therapy. Info is here.
For additional info about
the Chennai Storytelling Association, please call 98403 94282.
"Stories that Changed Lives", Indian Express, City Express section (12 Nov 2014). About storytelling by and for adults at a CCD.
"A Storyteller's Tale", India Currents Magazine (Oct 2014).
"The Many Ways of Telling Tales", The Hindu (23 June 2014). About the Storytelling Workshop for Adults.
"And They Lived Happily Ever After", The Hindu (14 Feb 2014). About CSF 2014.
"Storytelling Festival to Show Healing Power in Old Raja-Rani Tales", Times of India (7 Feb 2014). About CSF 2014.
"Once Upon a Time...Therapy?", Indian Express, City Express section (5 Feb 2014). About CSF 2014.
"Exploring the Gamut of Storytelling", Deccan Chronicle, Chennai Chronicle section (5 Feb 2014). About CSF 2014.
"A Lot More than Just Storytelling", New Indian Express (19 Nov 2013). About personal-experience storytelling by and for adults, in a cafe.
"A Storyteller from Chennai", www.life365.co (Pune) (27 July 2013).
"A Twist in the Tale", The Hindu, Sunday Magazine section (7 July 2013).
"He Tells It Like It Is", Deccan Chronicle (24 June 2013). About the Kaani Tribal Storytelling Festival.
"Indian Storytellers Struggle to Keep Tradition Alive", www.dw.de (German news website) (2 May 2013).
"To Learn, To Speak, To Grow", Indian Express (19 April 2013).
"Is Indian Storytelling a Dying Art?", BBC News Online (23 March 2013).
"Storyteller's Wonderland," Highlights Champs, India edition (April 2013).
"Telling Tales," Indian Express (15 March 2013).
"How to Spin a Yarn Your Way", Deccan Chronicle (29 Jan 2013). About the Chennai Storytelling Festival.
"Nurturing the Art of Spinning a Yarn", The Hindu (28 Jan 2013). About the Chennai Storytelling Festival.
"The Tale Trail", Indian Express (4 Jan 2013). About the Chennai Storytelling Festival.
"What is All the Drama About?", Deccan Chronicle (10 Nov 2012). About the Indian Institute of Psychodrama, which is affiliated with the WSI.
"Story Selling", Times of India, Crest Edition (2 Sept 2012). About storytelling and business.
"The Primal Art", Mint (9 Sept 2012). About storytelling and education.
"A Storyteller's Story", Deccan Herald, Bangalore edition (15 April 2012).
"Science Fiction Writers Should be Socially Responsible", The Hindu (21 Jan 2012).
"A Storyteller", India Today, Simply Chennai section, 5th Anniversary Special (Sept 2010).
"Bring Back the Storyteller!", Times of India (4 April 2010).
"The Art of Storytelling", Times of India (14 Nov 2008).
"Learning the Art of Narrating a Story in a Telling Manner," The Hindu (1 Sept 2008).
"A Catamaran Festival in the Mall", The Hindu (13 Aug 2007).
"Mall Gets Taste of Sea Culture", Deccan Chronicle (13 Aug 2007).
"An American in Love with Kannagi", Indian Express (11 June 2007).
"Ideas for New Colonies for Fishing People: Marina Beach Museum", Mylapore Times (24 March 2007)
"Catamaran Festival", The Hindu (10 Sept 2006)
"Celebrating the Sea-fishing Heritage", The Hindu (16 July 2006).
"Capturing the Mood of a Community", Indian Express (16 July 2006).
"As Civilised as We Are", News Today (20 Oct 2004).
"The Culture of Kaani People", The Hindu (14 Oct 2004).
"Away from Jungles, Tribe Hunts for Recognition" Indian Express (13 Oct 2004)
"Webcasting Culture Across Continents", The Hindu (17 Aug 2000).
"Silappathikaram Teaches Respect for Human Rights: US Scholar", The Hindu (10 Dec 1988).
"US Scholar in Search of
Information about Kannagi", The Hindu (7 Nov 1988).
"Child Development, Arts Therapies, Education -- and Storytelling", Teacher Plus Magazine (Hyderabad), Nov 2014 (in press).
"Storytelling by and for Adults at a Café Coffee Day!", Cafe Chronicle (March 2013).
"Dance, Movement, Gesture, and Posture in Storytelling" (Jan 2013).
"Role-playing in Storytelling" (Dec 2013).
"The Value of the Multi-Discipline Approach to Research", Conference Proceedings, Kanyakumari Academy of Arts and Sciences, Annual Meeting (Sept 2013).
"Ethnographic Videoconferencing" (Nov 2012).
"Aspects of the Storytelling Revival in India" (August 2011).
"Using Storytelling to Encourage Reading" (2011).
"Using Storytelling to Encourage Reading" (2011).
"Theories of Story and Storytelling" (2011).
"Ethnographic Videoconferencing, as Applied to Songs/Chants/Dances/Games of South Indian Children, and Language Learning", PhD Dissertation, Folklore Program, University of Pennsylvania (August 2010).
"Ideas for Chennai
Sangamam" (Jan 2009). About a
folk performing arts festival in Tamil Nadu,
"Conducting Folklore Interviews via Videoconference", Education Newsletter, American Folklore Society (Spring 2008).
"In Praise of Citizen Kannagi", The Hindu (16 June 2006). About the heroine of a Tamil epic.
", Conference Proceedings, Kanyakumari Academy of Arts and Sciences, Annual Meeting (Oct 2004). Co-authored with Murugan Narayanan Kaani.
"Chennai and Videoconferencing: Videoconferencing for Performing, Teaching, and Discussing Tamil Language and Performing Arts", Conference Proceedings, International Forum for Information Technology in Tamil (2003).
"Verbal Play and Language Acquisition" (2003).
"Tamil Nadu's Silappathikaram (Epic of the Anklet): Ancient Story and Modern Identity", Self-published booklet (1991).
Links to more of Dr Eric's
writings are on his personal
New editions of the Tour are being planned -- to parts of the route, and to the entire route.
us if you might be interested in joining, or helping to organise, an edition
of the Tour.
Storytelling for/by/with Adults.
Storytelling and Counselling.